Dedication of Memorial Cairn at St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Riverside Heights, Ontario
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of J. H. Reble unveiling the Memorial Cairn at St. John's Evangelical Luthean Church in Riverside Heights, Ontario during the congregation's 150th anniversary celebration. A crowd of people is gathered around.
The cairn of stones is surmounted by a stone cross and a bronze plaque. The plaque reads: That Ye Might Tell It To the Generations Following. To commemorate the loyalty, faith, courage and sacrifices of the pioneer Lutheran pastors, the Reverend Samuel Schwerdtfeger and the Reverend Herman Hayunga, and the faithful Christian men and women who established this Evangelical Lutheran Church, a grateful membership of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada has erected this monument.
- St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Riverside Heights, Ontario is a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. It began in the late 1700s as a congregation of settlers in Williamsburg Township, Upper Canada. In 1789 a church building was erected on the Center Commons Lot in the first Concession of Williamsburg Township. The church was originally named Zion Lutheran Church, but the name was quickly changed to St. George’s Church. The first pastor was Reverend Samuel Schwerdtfeger.
In 1814, St. George’s Church was taken over by the Church of England under the direction of Rev. John Gunther Weagant, a previous pastor of the Lutheran Church. The Lutherans were barred from St. George’s Church and were forced to hold services in the homes of congregation members. In 1826, Rev. Herman Hayunga accepted the call as pastor to the Lutherans in Williamsburg Township. He quickly formed two congregations in the area – St. John’s Church in Riverside, and St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Williamsburg.
For several years Hayunga petitioned the government to deed St. George’s Church to the Lutheran congregation. When the government denied his request Hayunga demanded that the congregation receive financial compensation for the loss of property. In 1846 the government granted the Lutheran church the sum of 500 Canadian pounds.
In 1833 the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. John was consecrated by Rev. Hayunga. The new wooden frame building stood on a lot donated by church member Conrad Frymire. In 1863 a larger, brick church was built on the same lot. In 1956 the St. Lawrence Seaway Project forced the relocation of the Church. On December 7, 1958, the new St. John’s Lutheran Church was completed at Riverside Heights.
- Handwritten, reverse: 150th Anniversary, Old St. John's Lutheran Church, Riverside (2 miles East of Morrisburg), Ontario, 1934.
- Date of Original
- June 10, 1934
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 8cm
Image Height: 13.5cm
- Local identifier
- St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Riverside Heights ON fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.9334 Longitude: -75.13261
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5