St. Mark's Lutheran Church, Kitchener, Ontario
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Colour photograph of the exterior of St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Kitchener, Ontario. The photograph was taken from King Street.
- St. Mark’s Lutheran Church (1913-2018) in Kitchener, Ontario was a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 2018, St. Mark’s merged with Reformation Lutheran Church of Kitchener and St. John’s Lutheran Church of Waterloo to form Trillium Lutheran Church.
The congregation was organized on February 2, 1913 as First English Evangelical Lutheran Church, filling the need for English language Lutheran services in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, where German language services were prevalent. Just two months later, the congregation purchased the former St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church on Queen Street in Kitchener, Ontario.
The 1930s was a time of growth and change for the congregation. In 1935 a new property, located at 825 King Street West, was purchased and construction of a new church building began in 1938. On July 31, 1938 the congregation voted to change the name of the Church from Frist English Evangelical Lutheran Church to St. Mark’s Lutheran Church. Dedication of the new St. Mark’s Lutheran Church took place on February 5, 1939.
- Date of Original
- Between 1970 and 2015
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 15cm
Image Height: 10cm
- Local identifier
- St. Mark's Lutheran Church (Kitchener, ON) fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S2032 Disc 1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5