St. Timothy's Lutheran Church picnic
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of men, women and children gathered in and around a truck on the Koivula family farm in Whitefish, Ontario. The group is attending a picnic for the people of St. Timothy's Lutheran Church in Copper Cliff, Ontario. The farmhouse is in the background.
- St. Timothy's Lutheran Church was founded in Copper Cliff, Ontario in 1897. In 2016 it joined with St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sudbury, Ontario to form New Hope Lutheran Church. It is a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
The congregation was founded by Finnish settlers on September 12, 1987 as Wuoristo Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church. It was a member of the Suomi Conference of the Finnish-American Evangelical Lutheran Church. In 1931 Wuoristo transferred membership to the Canada Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America.
In the early years, services were held in private homes or the Temperance Society Hall. Without a permanent pastor, the congregation was served by various pastors that visited once every three months. In June 1915 Pastor Otto Maki, a recent graduate of Suomi College, accepted the call as the first permanent pastor at Wuoristo Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church.
In 1907 a church building was constructed on land provided by the Canadian Copper Company. A joint effort of the Wuoristo congregation and the Temperance Society, the 2-story building provided space for a Temperance Society Hall on the first floor, and a church on the second. The official opening took place on October 25, 1908. A major renovation led to the re-dedication of the church building in 1961.
In 1948 Wuoristo began to offer monthly English-language services. By 1953, services weekly services were held in English and Finnish. Starting in 1961, Church records, including Church Council minutes, were recorded in English only. In 1962 the congregation voted to change the name from Wuoristo Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church to St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church.
In 2016 St. Timothy's Lutheran Church and St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sudbury, Ontario joined together forming New Hope Lutheran Church. St. Timothy’s parsonage was sold in June 2016, but the church remains open.
- Reverse, in ink: Seura Kunnan picnic Koivulan farmilla at White Fish
Mr. Koivula brought people from Copper Cliff in this big truck. There was 2 or 3 loads.
One scary hill to climb then.
Pastori & Mrs. V. Hanninen
- Date of Original
- Between 1920 and 1935
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 12cm
Image Height: 7.5cm
- Local identifier
- St. Timothy's Lutheran Church, Copper Cliff ON fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 46.38338 Longitude: -81.31646
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S2047 Disc1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5