Walmer Road Baptist Church Choir, Toronto, 1936
- Mackintosh, E., Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the Walmer Road Baptist Church Choir in Toronto, Ontario. The choir members are posed in the church.
- The Royal Canadian College of Organists (RCCO) is an arts service organization that supports, promotes, and celebrates Canada’s organ music community through learning opportunities, professional certification, communications, and advocacy. It also offers services such as educational resources, communications, and support for church organists and choir directors. The RCCO represents everyone with an interest in organ heritage and culture, including professional and beginner organists, composers, organ builders, and organ music enthusiasts.
In 1909, eight men in Brantford, Ontario formed the Canadian Guild of Organists, an organization similar to the Royal College of Organists in England. At the General Council meeting in September 1920 the name was changed to the Canadian College of Organists, and the college absorbed the Canadian members of the American Guild of Organists. In 1959, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted use of the Royal prefix in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the College and of its significant contribution to the cultural life of Canada.
The RCCO is a federally incorporated registered charitable organization administered by an elected Board of Directors. The National Council is an independent advisory board which includes the directors, chairs of standing committees, and member representatives. Its role is to determine issues of policy relating to the RCCO’s artistic interests and to make recommendations to the Board on matters of programming.
The RCCO is divided into 8 geographic Regions: Atlantic; Quebec and Eastern Ontario; Central Ontario; Southern Ontario; Western Ontario; Manitoba and Northwest Ontario; Prairies; and Pacific. Within each Region are local Centers, where members carry out the day-to-day activities of the College in their own communities.
The RCCO unites organists from across Canada at Organ Festival Canada and the National Organ Competition. It communicates with members through Organ Canada/Orgue Canada, the quarterly journal of the Royal Canadian College of Organists. The RCCO is also active internationally, hosting the International Congress of Organists in 1957, 1967, and 1993.
- Walmer Road Baptist Church Choir
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 23cm
Image Height: 18cm
- Local identifier
- Royal Canadian College of Organists collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.70011 Longitude: -79.4163
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S506 Disc 1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5