Programme : organ dedication service in the Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Church at Sebastopol, Ont. on the eighth Sunday after Trinity, July 15th, 1894
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Program for the organ dedication service at Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Sebastopol, Ontario. The service was held July 15, 1894. Includes hymns.
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and cemetery, located in Sebastopol north of Tavistock, Ontario is a congregation in the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. The congregation was founded in 1832 by German settlers in and around South Easthope Township. In 1855 a post-and-beam church was built and named St. Dreieinigkeits Gemeinde. In 1884 a large yellow-brick church was consecrated and the congregation has worshiped in this building to the present day. Noteworthy changes to the building throughout the decades include the installation of a 4-faced clock in the church tower in 1886, a pipe organ in 1894, stained glass windows in the 1930s and 1940s and an education wing in the 1970s. Services were conducted in the German language until after World War I with special event German-language services continuing until the 1950s. Trinity was first served by a series of itinerant pastors followed by Rev. F. Veit, 1872 - 1917; Rev. O.T.C. Stockmann, 1917 - 1957; Rev. A.J. Datars, 1957 - 1960; Rev. F.R. Mosher, 1960 - 1985; Rev. A. Baetz (Interim) 1986 - 1986; Rev. Bonnie Scharf, 1986 - 1993; Rev. W. Minke (Interim), 1994 - 1994; Rev. E. Mossman, 1994 - 2001; Rev. R Leonard (Interim), 2001 - 2002; Rev. R. Liedtke, 2002 - 2005; Rev D. Hammer (Interim) 2005 - 2007; and Rev. R. Brown, 2007 to the present day.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original
Width: 14 cm
Height: 19.5 cm
- Local identifier
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Tavistock, ON fonds
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.41682 Longitude: -77.23277
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S2002 Disc1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5