Lutheran Rally, Waterloo Park, Waterloo Ontario, 1941
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the Luther Rally held at the Waterloo Park bandshell during the Luther League of America's 23rd biennial convention. F. H. Knubel, president of the United Lutheran Church in America, is standing at a podium on stage. Choir members are seated behind him. Audience members are seated in front of the bandshell. A banner is strung across the bandshell opening which reads: "Welcome: Luther League America."
- The photograph is affixed to an album page.
The Luther League of America's 23rd biennial convention was held in Kitchener, Ontario, July 3-7, 1941. More than 1,000 delegates attend the youth conference. The convention was hosted by the Luther League of Canada, one of the synodical Leagues composing the Luther League of America.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original
- July 6, 1941
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10
Image Height: 6
- Local identifier
- Norman Antler fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S501 Disc1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5