Jean Hachborn speaking during the Seminary Presidents Portrait Unveiling Ceremony, of portraits of the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary Presidents at the eighth annual convention of the Eastern Canada Synod
- Griebling, G.E., Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of Jean Hachborn, president of the Women's Auxiliary of Waterloo Lutheran University, speaking to the crowd at a the Semianary President Portrait Unveiling Ceremony during the seventh annual convention of the Eastern Canada Synod. Mrs. Hachborn is standing in the doorway of the Seminary, with her back to the camera. Some of the men and women in the crowd are looking at programmes. Willison Hall is in the background.
- The eighth annual convention of the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America was held at Waterloo Lutheran University in Waterloo, Ontario, June 2-5, 1969.
Appears in the Canada Lutheran, June-July 1969, page 5.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original
- June 1969
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 12.5cm
Image Height: 18.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc13
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5