Mother's Day celebration at Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church, Kirkland Lake, Ontario
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of five men standing outside the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. They are wearing waiter uniforms of white jackets, aprons, and black ties for the church's Mother's Day celebration. Left to right: Jouko Vainio; Oliver Klementti; Sulo Lehtinen; Esko Vainio, holding a tray in his left hand; Ensio Laakkonen, holding a tea kettle in his right hand.
- Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church, located at 22 King Street in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, was a
congregation of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. The church
was founded on September 10, 1933. Initially services were conducted in Finnish, but eventually
became bilingual (Finnish/English). Many of the parishoners were of Finnish or Estonian
descent. After 80 years of service the church closed on June 2, 2013.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada
- Date of Original
- May 13, 1951
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 9cm
Image Height: 6.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 48.15017 Longitude: -80.03301
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc 12
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5