Martin Stockman, Ewald Sterz and Albert Datars standing in front of Our Saviour's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Owen Sound
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of three pastors standing on the steps of Our Saviour's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Ownen Sound, Ontario. The men are wearing vestments and holding bibles. Left to right: Rev. Martin Stockman, pastor of Our Saviour's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Owen Sound; Rev. Ewald Sterz, pastor of St. Matthews in Hanover, Ontario; Rev. Albert Datars, pastor in the Sullivan-Williamsford parish.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia. In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Rev. Stockman Sturtz Hanover Datars-Sullivan / 1942
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24cm
Image Height: 19cm
- Local identifier
- Lutheran Church of Our Saviour (Owen Sound, ON) fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.56717 Longitude: -80.94349
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S2015 Disc1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5