Lutheran Section of World Conference of Christian Education, 1950
- Mackintosh, Ed., Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Panoramic photographs
- Black and white panoramic photograph of men and women gathered in front of St. Ansgar Lutheran Church in Toronto, Ontario. They are attending the Lutheran Section of World Conference of Christian Education held August 14, 1950.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Front, on photograph: Lutheran Section of World / Conference of Christian / Education / St. Ansgar / Lutheran Church / Toronto - Ont / Aug. 14th - 1950 / Ed. Mackintosh / Photographer
Reverse, stamp: “PH [ illegible ] 100 PHS OF ANY DESCRIPTION” / ANYWHERE ANYTIME / M. MACKINTOSH / MILITARY, GROUP, BANQUET AND PANORAMIC / PHOTOGRAPHERS / MODERN LIGHTING / EQUIPTMENT / MI. 1862 / EXPERTS AT YOUR / DISPOSAL / 246 WELLESLEY ST. / TORONTO 5, ONT. / RECORDERS ANYTIME
Reverse, sticker: Mr. & Mrs. S. Weicker / 118 East Avenue / Kitchener, Ontario / N2H 1Y9
- Date of Original
- Aug. 1950
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 40.5cm
Image Height: 16cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.70011 Longitude: -79.4163
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5