Waterloo College graduating students, 1933
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of eight members of the Waterloo College class of 1933 at their graduation ceremony. The men and women are wearing academic caps and gowns, and are holding scrolls. They are posed in front of the Arts Building at the University of Western Ontario. From left to right: William Carl Nolting, Karl John Julius Knauff, Dorothy M. Tailby, Armin Martin Schlenker, Margery Tailby, Arthur Welburn Jones, John Frederick Doering, James Moore Lochead.
- Wilfrid Laurier University is located in Waterloo, Ontario. It began in 1911 as the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada. In 1924 Waterloo College was established, providing courses in post-secondary education. From 1925 to 1960, Waterloo College was an affiliated college of the University of Western Ontario. Waterloo College students received degrees conferred by the University of Western Ontario, and participated in convocation ceremonies at UWO. In 1960 affiliation with the University of Western Ontario ended, and Waterloo College became Waterloo Lutheran University. In 1973, the name was changed to Wilfrid Laurier University.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 10cm
Image Height: 6cm
- Graduation ceremonies
Waterloo College (Waterloo, Ont.) - Students
Waterloo College (Waterloo, Ont.)
University of Western Ontario (London, Ont.)
Nolting, William C.
University College, London
Jones, Arthur Welburne
Schlenker, Armin Martin
Tailby, Dorothy M.
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 42.98339 Longitude: -81.23304
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc11
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5