Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Montreal, Quebec
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Montreal, Quebec. The photograph was taken from Western Avenue.
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Montreal, Quebec was established on January 15, 1905. From 1905 to 1910 the congregation met in a house located on Mountain Street in Montreal, Quebec. In the spring of 1910, the church moved to a new location on Essex Street (now Dorchester Boulevard). In spring 1912 congregation purchased the former Bethlehem Congregational Church located on Clarke Avenue. In 1962 the old church building was demolished and a new church was built. In 1996 the congregation merged with Christ in Dollard-des-Ormeaux and became Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church in Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec, part of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original
- Between 1963 and 1996
Width: 50 cm
Height: 38 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 34cm
Image Height: 27cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.50884 Longitude: -73.58781
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc10
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5