23rd Biennial Convention of the Luther League of America, 1941
- Denton Photo, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Panoramic photographs
- Black and white panoramic photograph of a group of men, women and children sitting on the bleachers at Victoria Park in Kitchener, Ontario. They are delegates attending the 23rd biennial convention of the Luther League of America held in Kitchener-Waterloo in July 1941. Some people in the front row are holding a large banner with "Welcome to 23rd Biennial Convention of the Luther League of America Kitchener Waterloo" printed on it. Two of the delegates on the upper left are holding a "Pittsburgh 1945" sign. Four other delegates on the upper right are holding a sign with "Virginia" printed on it.
- The Luther League of America's 23rd biennial convention was held in Kitchener, Ontario, July 3-7, 1941. More than 1,000 delegates attend the youth conference. The convention was hosted by the Luther League of Canada, one of the synodical Leagues composing the Luther League of America.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Front, photographer's seal: Denton Photo / Kitchener / Ont
- Date of Original
- July 1941
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 59cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc8
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5