Water dumping prank, Waterloo College initiation week 1947
- Harry Huehnergard, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of Waterloo College freshmen gathered in front of Willison Hall during initiation week 1947. Water is being dumped on them by senior students on the balcony above. Students on balcony, left to right: Helmut Binhammer, Harold Gram, Russell Seltzer. Bottom, back row: Harold Seim, Austin Stoneham, Robert Howald, Ken Berlet, Erich Schultz, Bev Hayes, Earl Anderson, Gerhard Binhammer, Jim Gram, unknown. Bottom, front row: unknown, George Malcolm, John Brubacher, Lorraine Holle, Pauline Haberer, Shirley Buder, Lydia Otto, Alice Bald, unknown.
- -- There is a white scratch near the top, left side of the photograph.
-- Wilfrid Laurier University is a public university in Waterloo, Ontario. Laurier traces its roots to 1911 with the founding of the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada, the first Lutheran seminary in Canada.
As the seminary grew, it expanded teaching into new areas. From 1914-1929 it founded and operated Waterloo College School, an all-boys high school offering pre-theological education leading to senior matriculation. In 1924, the seminary expanded its higher education offerings when it established Waterloo College of Arts, a non-theological honours degree program affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. Waterloo College and Associate Faculties, offering science and engineering programs, was launched in 1956. Three years later, Waterloo College and Associate Faculties separated from Waterloo College and became incorporated as the University of Waterloo.
Also in 1959, the seminary received a revised charter from the Province of Ontario. The charter established Waterloo Lutheran University, a degree-granting university composed of two units – Waterloo University College (formerly Waterloo College) and Waterloo Lutheran Seminary (formerly the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada). In 1960, WLU ended its long-standing affiliation with the University of Western Ontario, and began to grant its own degrees.
On November 1, 1973, Waterloo Lutheran University became a public institution and was renamed Wilfrid Laurier University. Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, renamed Martin Luther University College in 2018, remains a federated college of the university.
In 1999 a second campus, Laurier Brantford, opened in Brantford, Ontario. In 2006 the Faculty of Social Work moved to a century-old building in downtown Kitchener.
- Date of Original
- Sept. 24, 1947
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 11.5cm
Image Height: 17cm
- Local identifier
- Wilfrid Laurier University photograph collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- U57 Disc1
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5