Senior Luther League, St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1934
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the Senior Luther League at St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Preston, Ontario. They are posed in front of the church. Karl Knauff is seated in the front row, fourth from the left. Alberta Knauff is in the second row, fourth from the left and Pastor W.H. Knauff is in the second row, eighth from the left.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Attached, typed: Senior Sunday School / (L to R) / Front Row: Louis Knack, Howard Ruppel, Frank Murray, Karl Knauff, Fred Foss, George Pfeiffer, Art Pfeiffer, Herb Huff / Second Row: Ruby Kistner, Dorthea Schultz, Alberta Julke, Mrs. Knauff, Marg Sohrt, Nelson Alles, Laura Miller, Rev. Knauff, Lois Pelz, Dorothy Brill, Harry Walker, Helen Sohrt, Dorothy Triller / Third Row: Katherine Bernhardt, /Marg Schlegel, Beatrice Schmidt, Marg. Weiberg, Norma Werlich, Isabel Bernhardt, Marie Schneider, Mae Schultz, Elizabeth Schmiedendorf, Doris Robertson, Druscilla Bird, Herb Sohrt / Fourth Row: ----, ----, Wilma Schultz, Audrey Salyerds, Harry Stockfish, Kay Snider, ----, Ellen Snyder, Hazel Pelz, Mary Pinke, ----, ----, Albert Wehner / Fifth Row: Jean Braun, ----, /----, Laura Stockfish, Tom Zeigler, Harry Zeigler, ----, Walter Holm, Frank Bernhardt, Elmer Thorman, Bill Pelz
Reverse, in pencil: Luther League 1934 / Return to D. McKeuna / Preston / Senior Sunday School / 1934
Attached, in ink: 1934
Front, photograph seal: E. Denton Photo / ED / Kitchener, ONT.
Front, on frame, photographer's stamp: Denton Studios / Kitchener, Ont.
Reverse, in pencil: Ladies Aid / Lutheran Church / Preston / Return to D McReuna / Preston / Women's Group / Senior Sunday School
- Date of Original
Width: 29 cm
Height: 24 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 19cm
Image Height: 14cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.3834 Longitude: -80.31637
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5