St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church confirmation class, 1929
- Law Photography, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the 1929 St. Peter's Lutheran Church confirmation class. Back row, left to right: Katherine Bernhardt, Nelson Alles, Walter Knack, Harold Thorman, John Seips, Clarence Gingrich, Herbert Myers, Wilma Schultz. Middle row: Marie Grischow, Margaret Farrow, Margaret Eby, Lois Pelz, Audrey Kistner, Evelyn Bernhardt, (?) Wagner, Irene Bennett, Helen Sohrt. Front row: Louis Knack, Fred Bettke, Clarence Beckman, Doris Schearer, Margaret Homuth, Pastor W.H. Knauff, Mary Pinke, Rose Bernhardt, George Schmidt, Eby Triller.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Attached, typed: Confirmation Class, March 24, 1929 / Back Row (L to R): Katherine Bernhardt, Nelson Alles, Walter Knack, Harold Thorman, John Seips, Clarence Gingrich, Herbert Myers, Wilma Schultz / Second Row: Marie Grischow, Margaret Farrow, Margaret Eby, Lois Pelz, Audrey Kistner, Evelyn Bernhardt, **** Wagner, Irene Bennett, Helen Sohrt / Front Row: Louis Knack, Fred Bettke, Clarence Beckman, Doris Schearer, Margaret Homuth, Rev. Knauff, Mary Pinke, Rose Bernhardt, George Schmidt, Eby Triller
Front, photographer's stamp: Law / Galt / Ont.
- Date of Original
- March 24, 1929
Width: 35 cm
Height: 30 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24cm
Image Height: 18.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.3834 Longitude: -80.31637
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5