Fathers and sons serving in the Canada Synod
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of four sets of fathers and sons serving in the Canada Synod. They are posed outdoors, with the fathers seated on a bench and the sons standing behind. Left to right, standing: Otto Reble, Karl Knauff, Arthur Little and Martin Stockman. Seated: John H. Reble, W.H. Knauff, C.H. Little and O.T.C. Stockman.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Front, in ink: Four pairs of Father's and Sons serving congregations in the Canada Synod
Reverse, in pencil: Reble - Otto and father John H. / Knauff - Karl "" W.H. (Helmuth) / Little - Arthur and Carlos (C.H.) / Stockman - Martin and O.T.C.
- Date of Original
- Between 1935 and 1958
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24.5cm
Image Height: 19cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5