Inaugural Summer School for Church Workers, 1919
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white group photograph of the men and women attending the inaugural Summer School for Church workers, held at the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada June 25-27, 1919. They are posed in front of Willison Hall. The men in the front row are holding a Waterloo College pennant.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
Summer School for Church Workers was started by the Canada Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America in 1919. The three day convention allowed church members to attend lectures on Church work and participate in social activities. The event was held annually at the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada in Waterloo, Ontario.
- Written on frame, reverse, in pencil: 1st Summer School 1919 / 1st Summer School 1919 / Front Row / A.A. Zinck / Huenergard / Dr Sperling / Dr Emil Hoffman / Dr Knubel / Dr C.H. Little / Standing with shawl Helda Knauff / 3rd person to the right Mr A.A. Zinck / 3 more Mrs W.H. Knauff / Mrs Stallschmidt / Carry May Fink / John Schmieder / Mrs Willison / Dr Willison / Hellmuth Knauff / Karl Knauff / Back row to right / Sorenson / Edward Heimrich / George Homuth / Cooper
- Date of Original
- June 1919
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 25.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5