St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church confirmation class, 1918
- Law, Elliot, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the 1918 St. Peter's Lutheran Church confirmation class. The five girls are wearing white dresses, hair bows, and corsages. The five boys are wearing dark suites and boutineers. Back row (standing), left to right: Dorothea Liza Schultz, Edward Charles Alexander Halberstadt, Allan Peter Schaus, Clarence Martin Dechert, Magdalene Hannah Lerch, Agnes Maria Henrietta Knack. Front row: Herman Cobo, Bessie Christine Dechert, Pastor M. Voelker, Mabel Mary May Heidlinger, Martin Theodore Juelke.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Attached, typed: Of the confirmation class of / St. Peter's Lutheran Church, King St., Preston, Ontario on May 5th, 1918 / Back row (standing) from left: / Dorothea Liza Schultz. Edward Charles Alexander Halberstadt. Allan Peter Schaus. / Clarence Martin Dechert. Magdalene Hannah Lerch. Agnes Maria Henrietta Knack. / Front row (seated) from left: / Herman Cobo. Bessie Christine Dechert. Pastor M. Voelker. / Mabel Mary May Heidlinger. Martin Theodore Juelke.
Front, photographer's stamp: E. Law / Preston, Ont.
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 25cm
Image Height: 17.5cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.3834 Longitude: -80.34967
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5