Young Women's Missionary Society, St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Cambridge
- Denton Photo, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the members of the Young Women's Missionary Society of St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church. The women are posed outdoors. Back row, left to right: Louise Schroeder, Billy Dechert, Ella Schroeder, Flossie Middlemess, Esther Salyerds, Ruby Letson, Violet Eagle, Isabel Bernhardt, Margaret Farrow, Ethel Braun, Louise Bernhardt, Gertrude Schultz. Front row: Hazel Pelz, Lois Pelz, Dorothy Triller, Hilda Schneider, Laura Miller, Margaret Blum, Mary Pinke.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Front, photograph seal: E. Denton Photo / ED / Kitchener, ONT.
Reverse, in ink: Young Women's Missionary Society / Back Row: / Louise Schroeder, Billy Dechert, Ella Schroeder, Flossie Middlemess, / Esther Salyerds, Ruby Letson, Violet Eagle, Isabel Bernhardt, / Margaret Farrow, Ethel Braun, Louise Bernhardt, Gertrude Schultz. / First Row: / Hazel Pelz, Louise Pelz, Dorothy Friller, Hilda Schneider, / Laura Miller, Margaret Blum, Mary Pinke.
- Date of Original
- Between 1926 and 1934
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 19cm
Image Height: 14cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.3834 Longitude: -80.31637
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5