- Hertel, James, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of the empty bleachers at Seagram Stadium. There is snow on the field.
- Accompanies "Universities' agreement clears path for sale" in The Laureate, vol. 9, no. 2, September 24, 1991, pg 7.
Seagram Stadium and Gymnasium was built by Waterloo College and Associate Faculties in 1957 with funding from the City of Waterloo, Joseph E. Seagram and Sons Ltd., and Ontario Hydro. Wilfrid Laurier University gained ownership of the Stadium in 1991 and undertook renovations which included the installation of artificial turf in 1994. In 1997 the name was changed to University Stadium and Sports Centre. A $5 million renovation in 2007 added a running track and updated the turf, bleachers, training and therapy rooms, gymnasium, and change rooms. Also in 2007, the athletic field was named Knight-Newbrough Field in honour of football coaches David “Tuffy” Knight and Rich Newbrough.
Wilfrid Laurier University is located in Waterloo, Ontario. It began in 1911 as the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada. In 1924 Waterloo College was established, providing courses in post-secondary education. In 1960 Waterloo College became Waterloo Lutheran University, and in 1973 changed its name to Wilfrid Laurier University. Laurier Brantford opened in 1999.
- Reverse, in ink: Seagram Stadium / March 1991 / Wide-angle / The Laureate -- March 19, 1991 / Seagram Stadium / a motion to transfer the stadium from the City to the university for $1.00 was defeated at a Waterloo city council meeting on March 11.
Front, in ink: L. Vol 9 #2 Sept 24/91 / Page 7 / Sale of Seagram Stadium.
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24.7cm
Image Height: 10.3cm
- Local identifier
- Wilfrid Laurier University photograph collection
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4668 Longitude: -80.51639
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date
- Copyright Holder
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- U57 Disc36
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5