House of Refuge
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Located at James and George Street.
- Cobourg had developed a ‘House of Refuge’ near the corner of
James and George streets in the early 1890s. The home took
in the elderly, indigent and destitute of the community. Soon there was a need for a hospital and a portion of the
home was turned over to that use. In time a need for
a larger hospital and Home became evident. The judicial court by this time had moved to the recently opened Victoria Hall, so the Hospital was moved to the site on D’Arcy Street and the Home was moved to its present site at Burnham and Elgin streets or the old courthouse and jail. Originally this was known as New Amherst.
- House of Refuge, Cobourg, Ontario
- Novelty Manufacturing & Art Printing Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date of Original
- c. 1900
- Local identifier
- Historical Photographs
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.95977 Longitude: -78.16515
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Cobourg Public LibraryEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4