- Mystery Question
- Does anyone know the date and/or names of the people in this photograph?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This school was located on Concession 3, Lot 31, east of County Road 25 on Purdy's road.
- The lot which this school was built on was sold in 1877 to Thomas and Eliza Greer for the purpose of a school, for the sum of $50 for a half an acre. The trustees for this transaction were Ed H. Purdy, Hammiel H. Alger, and James Baker. A copy of the original building contract was found in the walls of the school during the construction of an addition around 1950. The contract stated the cost as $500. The school is named Purdy's because of the long association with the family. In 1961 the school closed and the last teacher, Mrs. Patchett, and her puils moved to the South Cramahe Public School.
- Local identifier
- Historical Photograph
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.08342 Longitude: -77.8828
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Cobourg Public LibraryEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4