Second Welland Canal - Book 1, Survey Map 9 - Lock 2 in Grantham Township
- Welland Canal Company
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Survey map of the Second Welland Canal created by the Welland Canal Company showing a portion of the Grantham Township sometimes referred to as the Welland Vale. Identified structures associated with the Canal include Lock 2, several weirs, and the Lock Tender's House.
The surveyors' measurements and notes can be seen in red and black ink and pencil.
Features of the First Welland Canal are noted in red ink and include the old towing path and the Old Canal itself.
Local area landmarks and businesses are also identified and include streets and roads (ex. Side Line and Old Road to Port Dalhousie), J. C. Clark's Ice House, J. L. Ranney Store House, a burnt mill, barrel shed, a building leased to Michael Kerrins, and a number of unidentified structures (possibly houses or cabins) belonging to D. Cain, R. Cain, W. Weaver and W. Huddy.
A New Road to St. Catharines is featured in red ink.
Properties and property owners of note are: Concession 5 Lots 20, 21 and 22, Concession 6 Lots 20 and 21, Thomas Adams, John Gould, George Rykert, Theophilus Mack, William H. Merritt, J. L. Ranney, and the Board of Works.
- Welland Canal Company
- Date of Original
Width: 100 cm
Height: 45 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 85cm
Image Height: 45cm
- Map Scale:
- Local identifier
- St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada) Fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1590028199194 Longitude: -79.2592978477478
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- © St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada). © Transport Canada.
- Copyright Holder Contact Information
- Copyright Bureau, Services Branch
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street, Ottawa K1A 0N4
Tel.: 613-996-7502 / Fax: 613-996-1341
- Recommended Citation
- Brock University Archives, St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada) Fonds, Second Welland Canal Survey Map 1, c.1845.
- This record is Crown copyrighted. Permission to reproduce this record must be granted by Library and Archives Canada.
- Reproduction Notes
- © St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada). Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada (2006).
Source: Library and Archives Canada/St. Lawrence Seaway Authority fonds/R1195-0-X-E/Accession 73-27727 CA
© Transport Canada. Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada (2006).
Source: Library and Archives Canada/Department of Railways and Canals fonds/R610-154-8-E/Accession 9017 CA
- Brock University ArchivesEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:
James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1
Telephone: 905-688-5550 x3264