Blind River Digital Collection

Results

We found
21
matching items
  • Hand Carved Reproduction of a Crazy Wheel (Barienger Brake)(Created by Joe Briere)
  • Blind River Mill, Aerial, Circa 1930
        The Blind River Mill was sold by J.J McFadden to Carpenter-Hixon out of Minnesota in 1926. Carpenter-Hixon invested $3.5 million dollars and turned it into the largest white pine mill in the world and the largest mill in Canada east of the Rockies. At its peak it boasted a staff ...
      The Blind River Mill was sold by J.J McFadden to Carpenter-Hixon out ...
  • Wright Chainsaw (Model GS 2520)
        This saw manufactured by Wright is possibly a Model GS-2520 that was only in production from 1958 to 1959 and was actually a reciprocating saw/chainsaw.
      This saw manufactured by Wright is possibly a Model GS-2520 that was ...
  • David - Bradley Chainsaw, Circa 1955
        This one man chainsaw was manufactured by the David-Bradley company who began to produce chainsaws during the 1950's. In 1962 David Bradley merged with a company owned by Sears, The Newark Ohio Company, four years later Sears lost their ownership of David Bradley when The George D. Roper Corp bought ...
      This one man chainsaw was manufactured by the David-Bradley company who began ...
  • Dolmar - Ring & Co.  (RINCO) Two Man Chainsaw, Circa 1925
        In approximately 1925 this two wheeled saw was part of the new generation of gas powered two man chainsaws. The wheels were to enable it being moved from one site to another without having to be strictly carried as its weight was prohibitive. This was an evolution on the larger ...
      In approximately 1925 this two wheeled saw was part of the new ...
  • Root Chainsaw, 1962 - 1964
        This red and yellow chainsaw was produced by the Root Manufacturing Company Inc. from Baxter Springs, Kansas and was manufactured sometime between 1962 and 1964.
      This red and yellow chainsaw was produced by the Root Manufacturing Company ...
  • Blind River 100 Years of History and More - Part 2 - The Standard, 2006
        This is Part Two of a story published in the Standard moving forward in time covering some of the industries that drove the growth of Blind River, such as logging, trapping, and fishing.
      This is Part Two of a story published in the Standard moving ...
  • Town's History Dates Back to 1761, Fishery and Logging Part of Past - The Standard, 1981
        This article covers some of the towns history from the time of 1761 when a sturgeon fishery was operating in the area, and then continues to the arrival of the first sawmill built in 1903 by J.J. McFadden and John Malloy.
      This article covers some of the towns history from the time of ...
  • A Fistful Of Wood - The Standard, 2006
        This is a colorful description of the Town of Blind River in its heyday when logging and mining were king. It it is a lively tale of by gone days that is worth a read.
      This is a colorful description of the Town of Blind River in ...
  • Log Slide North Of Blind River, Aubrey Falls, 1928
        This black and white photo shows a log slide built near Aubrey Falls north of Blind River
      This black and white photo shows a log slide built near Aubrey ...
  • Carpenter & Hixon Log Jam at Mississauga Bridge, Indian River, Circa 1925
        This black and white photo shows a log jam at the Mississauga Bridge on the Indian River
      This black and white photo shows a log jam at the Mississauga ...
  • Bush Travel Big Problem For Loggers and Hunters, 1957
        While the source of this article is unknown, it deals with the conflict between sportsmen and loggers using privately owned logging roads. In order to access many of the best areas for hunting and fishing sportsmen often use private roads created for and by the logging companies. This can create ...
      While the source of this article is unknown, it deals with the ...
  • Fickle Fate Harasses Town, 1980
        This article appears to be the third in a series of articles discussing the effect of the ups and downs of the lumber industry on the town of Blind River. This piece covers a period from 1929 to 1958.
      This article appears to be the third in a series of articles ...
  • Domtar Announcement Surprises Town, 1980
        Article four in this series discusses the 1968 announcement by Domtar of the closure of the local mill. The last whistle blew at 5 pm on June 19, 1969 and saw 300 people join the 300-400 who had already been laid off.
      Article four in this series discusses the 1968 announcement by Domtar of ...
  • Town Conquers Economic Defeat, 1980
        This is the fifth part of the series discussing the depletion of white pine forest stock in the area that would have led to an inevitable shut down of the Domtar mill sooner or later. It also discusses the then Mayor (Red Venturi) optimism that Blind River would survive again ...
      This is the fifth part of the series discussing the depletion of ...
  • Blind River Recalls The Days of The World's Biggest White-Pine Mill, 1977
        The Globe and Mail ran a large article about the McFadden mill that was the worlds larges white pine sawmill in the 1950`s. During its peak operation over 12 miles of concrete `streets` were laid for access to the lumber stacks. The mill itself was built by the Carpenter Hixon ...
      The Globe and Mail ran a large article about the McFadden mill ...
  • Sawmills, Logging Big Part of Town`s Colorful History, 1981
        The Blind River Standard published this article recalling the heyday of the logging industry in the Blind River area. Including the chain of ownership of the mill that provided many jobs in Blind River for years.
      The Blind River Standard published this article recalling the heyday of the ...
  • Logging Days In Blind River, 1975
        This seven page document provides a point form time line of the progression of the logging industry in the Blind River area, from the arrival of the french explorers in 1640 to more modern days in 1967.
      This seven page document provides a point form time line of the ...
  • Wooden Replica of Tramway, ca 1950, part of Blind River sawmill site, (Created by Joe Sarazin)
        This is a hand created replica of a wooden tramway which was used for the horses to travel toward the greenway at the sawmill. The logs would be unloaded and travel up the greenway into the sawmill building to be sawed by the sawyer. Tramways were often a place where ...
      This is a hand created replica of a wooden tramway which was ...
  • Town's Logging Memorial Completed, Blind River, 2001
    Rocco Frangione, The Sault Star, June 1, 2001, Section A, p. 11     This newspaper article concerns the completion of the Blind River logging memorial with the installation of six bronze logs. The article goes on to include information about the manufacture of the sculpture, it's aging and the sculpture's designer, Laura Brown Breevelt.
    Rocco Frangione, The Sault Star, June 1, 2001, Section A, p. 11   This newspaper article concerns the completion of the Blind River logging memorial ...
Search within these results
Sort
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit