1812 History

Results

We found
27
matching items
  • Contributors: Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum
  • Graybiel Blacksmith Ledger - 1791 to the mid 1800s
        The brown, hard covered Graybiel ledger, with handwritten ink entries from 1791 to the mid 1800s, is believed to have originated in Pennsylvania with the Graybiel Family and ended in the Niagara Peninsula with John Graybiel Jr. (b.1809) According to the ledger, John Graybiel Sr. (1752-1801), took over the business ...
      The brown, hard covered Graybiel ledger, with handwritten ink entries from 1791 ...
  • Cannonballs- C. 1812
        Two cannonballs, one smaller and lopsided was found in a backyard on Catharine Street in Port Colborne and the other larger one was found elsewhere in the city. It is believed that military stores and munitions were often kept in the Sugar Loaf area and would be quickly buried or ...
      Two cannonballs, one smaller and lopsided was found in a backyard on ...
  • Musket Balls- c. 1812
        These five musket balls were found on Nickel beach at a home on Lakeshore Road East, Port Colborne Ontario. It is believed that during the War of 1812 many military stores and munitions were secreted or buried in haste to prevent their seizure by advancing American troops. This would most ...
      These five musket balls were found on Nickel beach at a home ...
  • Oil Painting of Gravelly Bay and Sugarloaf Hill in Port Colborne
        An oil painting of Gravelly Bay and Sugarloaf Hill in Port Colborne. It is most likely a view taken from near Tennessee Avenue and Steele Street. The War of 1812 Veteran "Big John Steele", John Steele's log Tavern Inn, built 1824, is in the forground and Christian Zavitz's log home ...
      An oil painting of Gravelly Bay and Sugarloaf Hill in Port Colborne. ...
  • Cannonballs- C.1812
        This set of four cannonballs were found at Gravelly Bay in Port Colborne. It is believed that the cannonballs were found here because of their proximity to Zavitz Mill. During the war, the mill would most likely have been protected with one or more cannons against possible marine attacks or ...
      This set of four cannonballs were found at Gravelly Bay in Port ...
  • Proclamation By Lt. Col.  Jas. P. Preston of the Invading American Army
        A Proclamation dated 30 May, 1813 by Lt. Col. James P. Preston of the invading American Army upon the taking of Fort Erie during the War of 1812. He warns Canadian residents to resist taking up arms against him. He also invites the residents to voluntarily sign their names to ...
      A Proclamation dated 30 May, 1813 by Lt. Col. James P. Preston ...
  • Cannonball- C. 1812
        Cannonball that was found at the south end of Elm Street, near the lake, in Port Colborne. It is believed that military stores and munitions were often kept in the Sugar Loaf area and would be quickly buried or secreted to prevent their seizure by advancing American troops. This was ...
      Cannonball that was found at the south end of Elm Street, near ...
  • Mennonite Exemption Certificate- John Graybiel,1812
        An original hand-written certificate dated August 31, 1812 declaring that John Graybiel of the Township of Wainfleet, County of Lincoln was a "manonist" and a son of a "Manonist" (meaning a Mennonite). This certificate, which the Militia Act required to be signed by three members of the congregation, exempted 16 ...
      An original hand-written certificate dated August 31, 1812 declaring that John Graybiel ...
  • Zavitz Mill Stone
        A mill stone from the Zavitz Mill located near the Eagle Marsh Drain (western end of Tennessee Avenue and Lakeshore Road in Port Colborne). The Zavitz Mill was one of the first mills in the southern end of the Niagara Peninsula. Another stone is located near the Port Colborne Hospital ...
      A mill stone from the Zavitz Mill located near the Eagle Marsh ...
  • Large Copper Powder Flask
        This large copper powder flask has a brass rim and spout at the top. Below the spout is marked "Dixon & Sons", the Manufacturer. The spout is marked: "DRAMS 4 1/2 4 1/2 4 3 3/4 3 1/2. Below the spout is a lever to open. There are also four ...
      This large copper powder flask has a brass rim and spout at ...
  • Powder flask
        A small copper flask that was presumably used for gun powder. There is a brass rim at the opening and a metal lever to open it. The design on the face is the same on both sides: Trees, a hunter and a dog. For more information, read “‘Scruples of Conscience’: ...
      A small copper flask that was presumably used for gun powder. There ...
  • Powder flask & stopper
        A hand-made powder horn, dated approximately 1800, that is believed to have existed since 1790. Both the flask and the stopper are made wood. For more information, read “‘Scruples of Conscience’: The War of 1812 in the Sugarloaf Settlement” by Donald G. Anger, the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum. ...
      A hand-made powder horn, dated approximately 1800, that is believed to have ...
  • Zavitz Family Mill- Port Colborne, c.1800
        A photo of Zavitz Mill standing beside the sand dunes which were once located there. The mill was built by Christian Zavitz and was operated by his son, Jesse, at the Lake Shore outlet of the Mill Pond (Eagle Marsh Drain at Gravelly Bay in Port Colborne) from 1780-1830. It ...
      A photo of Zavitz Mill standing beside the sand dunes which were ...
  • Marriage Certificate Between Peter Neff and Maria Durrin
        A marriage certificate between Peter Neff and Maria Durrin. Clockwise starting from top right: Peter Neff a son of Abraham Neff. Bottom Right: was born the 23 October, 1780 in Yorck County, Pennsylvania. Bottom Left: his wife Maria Neff is born Durrin. Was born the 13 November 1779, Top Left: ...
      A marriage certificate between Peter Neff and Maria Durrin. Clockwise starting from ...
  • Deed of Land Transcript- To Christian Kniseley from King George III, 1818
        A six page photocopy of a transcript of a Deed granting 25 acres of land in the Township of Humberstone, County of Lincoln, District of Niagara, to Christian Kniseley from King George III, on September 29, 1818. The lot is described as "part of the near of Northern half of ...
      A six page photocopy of a transcript of a Deed granting 25 ...
  • Christian Zavitz, Jr. Log cabin
        A photo of Christian Zavitz, Jr.'s log cabin from the "Port Colborne News", Second Section, Centennial Edition, Page 9B, August 1967. The cabin was located where the eastern part of Oakwood Cemetery is today in the Wainfleet Township. In late 1814, it was believed to have been looted by American ...
      A photo of Christian Zavitz, Jr.'s log cabin from the "Port Colborne ...
  • Fraktur Mennonite Birth Certificate- Abraham Neff, 1802
        "Fraktur" Mennonite artwork which celebrates the birth of Abraham Neff. It reads: "In the year of our Lord, December 7, 1802 ". Abraham was 10 years old when Michael Graybiel made the bellows for his father Peter Neff in 1812 to begin the Neff metal-working tradition. Abraham came form a ...
      "Fraktur" Mennonite artwork which celebrates the birth of Abraham Neff. It reads: ...
  • Abraham Laing's Lead Bucket and Metal Ladle
        A lead bucket and metal ladle that are believed by some to have been used for making bullets. The ladle has a copper scoop and measures 35 cm long with a hook on the end. The bucket, with a metal handle, is stamped with what looks to be an A ...
      A lead bucket and metal ladle that are believed by some to ...
  • James Fortier Letter To W.H. Merritt, Chief Commissioner of Public Works in Toronto- 1850
        A letter written by James Fortier who was the Port Colborne Lighthouse keeper after his War of 1812 Service. He had participated at the Battle of Fort Detroit under Major General Sir Isaac Brock for which he received a medal in 1849. He was also in charge of a gun ...
      A letter written by James Fortier who was the Port Colborne Lighthouse ...
  • Eve Neff (nee Sherk) photograph
        A black and white photo of Eve Sherk Neff, dressed as a Mennonite, standing with her right hand on a well pump and a screen door behind her. The photo is on a buff matte and is surrounded by a black matte. On the back is written "Aunt Margaret from ...
      A black and white photo of Eve Sherk Neff, dressed as a ...
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Subjects
Item Types
Years
1800s1800180118021803180418051806180718081809
1810s1810181118121813181418151816181718181819
18201820182118221823182418251826182718281829
18301830183118321833183418351836183718381839
18401840184118421843184418451846184718481849
1850s1850185118521853185418551856185718581859
1860s1860186118621863186418651866186718681869
18701870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
19001900190119021903190419051906190719081909
19101910191119121913191419151916191719181919
19201920192119221923192419251926192719281929
19301930193119321933193419351936193719381939
19401940194119421943194419451946194719481949
19501950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
Features
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit