- Media Type
- This circa 1825 lantern is rather rare.
It is a black, cylindrical tin lantern with a conical top. There is a moveable handle on the top with a circular loop. There is also a tin handle on the side. The lantern has a hinged door with a latch and a horn window.
There are 20 almond shaped cut outs in the body of the lantern, arranged in groups of two, to allow candlelight and smoke to flow through. Also, there is a hole at the top of the conical topper to allow smoke to exit. The holder for the candle is at the bottom of the lantern on the inside.
- Date of Original
- circa 1825
Width: 15.2 cm
Height: 31.75 cm
Length: 11.4 cm
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1549800011325 Longitude: -79.1942596435547
- Purchased from R.G. Perkins and Son Antiques Limited
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the St. Catharines Museum
- Please contact the St. Catharines Museum for any reproductions of this image
- St. Catharines MuseumEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency street/mail address:1932 Welland Canals Parkway P.O. Box 3012 St. Catharines, ON L2R 7C2