Long Service and Good Conduct Medal
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- British Royal Mint, Manufacturer
- Benedetto Pistrucci, 1784-1855, Designer
- Media Type
- The Long Service and Good Conduct Medal was issued by the British Government. The medal was instituted in 1830 and was awarded to soldiers for exemplary conduct for 21 years service in the infantry and 24 years in the cavalry.
This medal was issued to Sergeant Angus Cooke, who lived in Grantham Township from 1831-1860, for his 25 years of service in the British military. Sergeant Angus Cooke joined the 71st Regiment of Foot in Dundalk, Scotland in 1806 at the age of 18. He served with the Regiment throughout the Napoleonic Wars in Spain, France, and Belgium. The Regiment, which was renamed the Highland Light Infantry, was stationed in Canada from 1824 to 1831.
Quarter Master Sergeant Angus Cooke retired in 1831 with 25 years service. Angus Cooke acquired 82 acres of land to farm in what is today the North West end of St. Catharines (then Grantham Township). Cooke Died in 1860 at the age of 72 and is buried in the Hosteller-Muir Cemetery in Port Weller, St. Catharines.
The medal is on a 1 1/4 inch wide crimson ribbon. The ribbon is attached to the medal with a rectangular steel suspender and clip.
The circular medal is 1 1/4 inches in diameter and is 1/8 of an inch in height and is made of silver.
On the obverse, in relief, is the trophy of arms surrounding the Royal Escutheon with the badge of Hanover in an oval shield in the center.
On the reverse is the inscription: FOR LONG SERVICE AND GOOD CONDUCT.
On the outside edge, stamped into the medal: A. COOKE, Q.MASTER SERJ. 71ST REGIMENT. FOOT.183
The manufacturer of this medal is the British Royal Mint. The Long Service and Good Conduct Medal was designed by Benedetto Pistrucci, 1784-1855.
- This medal was issued to Sergeant Angus Cooke in the 1830s. The medal was donated by Mrs. Ruth Margaret (Scott) Hilman in 1982.
- Date of Original
Width: 3.5 cm
Height: 0.4 cm
Length: 9.7 cm
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1549800011325 Longitude: -79.1946029663086
- Mrs. Ruth Margaret Scott Hilman
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the St. Catharines Museum
- Please contact the St. Catharines Museum for any reproductions of this image
- St. Catharines MuseumEmail:email@example.com
Address:1932 Welland Canals Parkway P.O. Box 3012 St. Catharines, ON L2R 7C2