Cross Belt Plate- Regiment de. Watteville
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- This rectangular bass plate is stamped with a crown and “GR” cipher with an inscription: “MAIDA” (above crown) and “Reg. de. Watteville” (below cipher). This item is from a cross belt of a uniform of a Regiment of Swiss mercenaries in the British Service, possibly led by Lieutenant Colonel Victor Fisher of De Watteville. This regiment was stationed in Upper Canada during the war of 1812 and helped in the defense of Fort Erie in August 1814, which was later burned down by the Americans. Further research in 2010 suggests this was a foreign mercenary regiment.
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.25012 Longitude: -79.06627
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Niagara Historical Society & Museum
- Please contact the Niagara Historical Society & Museum for any reproductions of this image.
- Niagara Historical Society MuseumEmail:email@example.com
Agency street/mail address:
43 Castlereagh Street
P.O. Box 208