Zavitz Mill Stone
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A mill stone from the Zavitz Mill located near the Eagle Marsh Drain (western end of Tennessee Avenue and Lakeshore Road in Port Colborne). The Zavitz Mill was one of the first mills in the southern end of the Niagara Peninsula. Another stone is located near the Port Colborne Hospital on Lake Erie. It is from the same mill but is not a pair to the one located at the Museum.
The mill was built by Christian Zavitz and was operated by his son, Jesse, from 1780-1830. During the war, the mill would most likely have been protected with one or more cannons against possible marine attacks or enemy forces that could be seen coming up Sugarloaf road.
For more information, read “‘Scruples of Conscience’: The War of 1812 in the Sugarloaf Settlement” by Donald G. Anger, the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum.
Size: 1.5 meters in diameter.
- Date of Original
- c. 1790
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 42.8767975107062 Longitude: -79.2702841758728
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum
- Please contact the PORT COLBORNE HISTORICAL AND MARINE MUSEUM for any reproductions of photographs within the website.
- Port Colborne Historical and Marine MuseumEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org