Abraham Laing's Lead Bucket and Metal Ladle
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A lead bucket and metal ladle that are believed by some to have been used for making bullets. The ladle has a copper scoop and measures 35 cm long with a hook on the end. The bucket, with a metal handle, is stamped with what looks to be an A attached with an L and the year 1797. It measures 8cm x 8 1/2cm x 9 1/2 cm high. These items are believed to have belonged to Abraham Laing, a Quaker, as he often initialed documents with the joined A L format. Through property records he is known to have lived in Humberstone Township for a period of time. Laing did not fight in the War of 1812 due to his Quaker principles and, as a result, is known to have paid a fine of "$12 and 1/4".
For more information, read “‘Scruples of Conscience’: The War of 1812 in the Sugarloaf Settlement” by Donald G. Anger, the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum.
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- 985.56.7 a &b
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 42.8896745971614 Longitude: -79.2519378662109
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum
- Please contact the PORT COLBORNE HISTORICAL AND MARINE MUSEUM for any reproductions of photographs within the website.
- Port Colborne Historical and Marine MuseumEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org