Van Buskirk Blacksmith Shop
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Photo of Van Buskirk blacksmith shop on Main Street West in Grimsby. During the War of 1812, Allan Nixon was known to have owned the blacksmith shop located here. It is believed that the shop was forced to shoe American horses while the area was under US occupation. The building was later used for the Stone Shop Museum.
The backside of the photo has written:
"Photo of Old Stone Shop, circa 1880 taken from old tintype."
Originally built by Allan Nixon circa 1800s.
Left to Right from ladder.
Charles Ready, apprentice
Lawrence Van Buskirk
Jonathon Van Buskirk
On wagon, near right--
Lawrence M. Van Buskirk, father
Sign on building reads--
Tin type gift of Mrs. Mildred Hughes (C.E.) Dunham, granddaughter of L.M. Van Buskirk
Property of Stone Shop Museum
- Date Of Event
- c. 1800
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1936788615872 Longitude: -79.5823860168457
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Grimsby Museum
- Please contact the Grimsby Museum for any reproductions of this image.
- Grimsby MuseumEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org