This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- A powder flask of the type used during the War of 1812.
A pear shaped container carved from horn in two halves which are riveted together around the flattened edges. The horn has a smooth, shiny surface and ranges in colour from yellow-green to dark green.
The measuring spout on top is made of brass and is spring loaded. The measuring spout is a cylinder that sits perpendicular to the rest of the flask. The edges of each end are riveted.
There are four small brass rings attached to the flask. The two that are attached to the horn have twisted green string looped and tied through them. The ends of the strings are frayed.
- Unknown whether flask is military issue.
- Date of Original
- circa 1812
Width: 17.5 cm
Height: 3.2 cm
Length: 8.9 cm
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1551678429234 Longitude: -79.1937446594238
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the St. Catharines Museum
- Please contact the St. Catharines Museum for any reproductions of this image
- St. Catharines MuseumEmail:email@example.com
Address:1932 Welland Canals Parkway P.O. Box 3012 St. Catharines, ON L2R 7C2