Powder Horn- Dr. Cyrus Sumner
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- A powder horn with brass fittings at both ends. There is one brass ring remaining to which some material such as hide or leather would have been fastened for carrying purposes. At the narrow end there is also a small moveable "catch".
It is believed that the powder horn was originally owned by Dr. Cyrus Sumner (1772-1834) who served as a surgeon in Niagara during the War of 1812. It is also known that Dr. Sumner was requested by Major-General Brock to accompany him to Detroit during the war. He was also known to have become the commissioned Surgeon to the 4th Lincoln Regiment Militia in 1822
- Date of Original
- C. 1800
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.00012 Longitude: -79.24958
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Grimsby Museum
- Please contact the Grimsby Museum for any reproductions of this image.
- Grimsby MuseumEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org