Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection

Ontario Hospital / Military Convalescent Hospital
This group contains photographs of the mental health facilities in Whitby, Ontario prior to 1949. The photos contained within this group detail: construction progress at Ontario Hospital at Whitby; construction workers and construction equipment; construction progress at the Military Convalescent Hospital; soldiers at the Military Convalescent Hospital; a visit by the Duke of Devonshire; theatre stage performances at the hospital; interior and exterior views of the hospital facilities and site, including some aerial views; portrait photographs of physicians who worked at the hospital; and group portraits of graduates from the School of Nursing.

We found 21 matching items.
Subject:  Buildings  Sort by: 
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Ontario Hospital Administration Building, ca.1929 
Image  ca.1929,   Black and white photograph showing the Administration building at Ontario Hospital in winter. This building was built in 1925 and demolished in 1994.
Grove House, ca.1930 
Image  ca.1930,   Black and white photograph showing Grove House from the Recreation Hall at Ontario Hospital. Grove House was the original farmhouse built for William Gordon in 1855 on the Bayside Farm. John Smith owned the property from 1888 to 1912, when the land was purchased by the Ontario Government for the...
Nurses' Residences, ca.1929 
Image  ca.1929,   Black and white photograph showing nurses' residences at Ontario Hospital. On 15 August 1923, the first nurses' residences were opened. Named after two psychiatric nurses who served and died during the First World War, the Naomi Barker Home and the Lena Davis Home meant that students could receive...
Ontario Hospital Infirmary, ca.1929 
Image  ca.1929,   Black and white photograph showing the Infirmary at Ontario Hospital. The male and female infirmaries were part of the original facility construction in 1916.
Staff Cottages, ca.1929 
Image  ca.1929,   Black and white photograph showing the two of the staff cottages at Ontario Hospital. View looking north-east from the Recreation Hall. The ice house is visible in the background at left. The staff cottages were located on the entrance road running west from Gordon Street.
Ontario Hospital Tennis Court and Miniature Golf Course, ca.1931 
Image  ca.1931,   Black and white photograph showing the tennis courts and miniature golf course at Ontario Hospital. The miniature golf course was built in 1931 with proceeds from the food sales at the Hospital canteen.
Recreation Hall, ca.1930 
Image  ca.1930,   Black and white photograph showing the Recreation Hall at Ontario Hospital. Front view. The Recreation Hall was built in 1917 and used by convalescing soldiers from the First World War.
Ontario Hospital Miniature Golf Course, ca.1931 
Image  ca.1931,   Black and white photograph showing the miniature golf course at Ontario Hospital. The miniature golf course was built in 1931 with proceeds from the food sales at the Hospital canteen.
Ontario Hospital Dining Hall, 1928 
Image  1928,   Black and white photograph showing the Dining Hall at Ontario Hospital.
Ontario Hospital Power House, 1928 
Image  1928,   Black and white photograph showing the west side of the power house at Ontario Hospital. The power house was located on the west side of Gordon Street, north of the staff cottage road.
Ontario Hospital Power House, 1928 
Image  1928,   Black and white photograph showing the east side of the power house at Ontario Hospital. The power house was located on the west side of Gordon Street, north of the staff cottage road.
Ontario Hospital Annex Buildings C. 1929. 
Image  1929,   Black and White photograph of the Ontario Hospital Annex Building C. 1929. The Annex Buildings were constructed as temporary buildings in 1917 at the North end of the building complex. The East Annex was demolished in the 1950s and the West Annex in 1970.
Ontario Hospital Barn and Houses on Farm Road, 1929. 
Image  1929,   Black and White photograph of the Ontario Hospital Barn and houses on Farm Road, 1929. The barn was built in 1919 and destroyed by fire on November 4, 1976.
Ontario Hospital Administrative Building and Pavilion, C. 1929. 
Image  1929,   Black and white photograph of the Ontario Hospital Administration Building and Pavilion, 1929. The Administrations Building was built in 1925 and the Pavilion in 1921-22.
Ontario Hospital Pavilion One, February 13, 1931. 
Image  February 13, 1931,   Black and white photograph of the Ontario Hospital Pavilion One on, February 13, 1931. The two Pavilions, one male and one female, were built in 1921-22and officially opened bu Ontario Premier Ernest C. Drury on July 25, 1922.
Ontario Hospital Doctor's House, 1930. 
Image  1930,   Black and white photograph of the Ontario Hospital Doctor's House, 1930. This was the residence of Assistant Superintendent Dr. John Webster.
Car outside of Ontario Hospital Infirmary, 1928. 
Image  1928,   Black and white photograph of the Ontario Hospital Infirmary, 1928, with an automobile parked outside. The male and female infirmaries were both built in 1916.
Entrance to Staff Cottages at the Ontario Hospital, April 1930. 
Image  April, 1930,   Black and white photograph of the Ontario Hospital gates to staff cottages, leading West from Gordon Street. April, 1930.
Ontario Hospital Annex Building, C. 1929. 
Image  1929,   Black and White Photograph of the Annex Building at the Ontario Hospital, 1928. The Annex Buildings were constructed as temporary buildings in 1917 at the North end of the complex of hospital buildings to meet the needs for dormitories for soldiers in the First World War. One was demolished in the...
Ontario Hospital Administration Building, ca.1929 
Image  ca.1929,   Black and white photograph showing the Administration building at Ontario Hospital in winter. This building was built in 1925 and demolished in 1994.
Whitby Mental Health Centre Power House, June 2006 
Image  April 2006,   A colour photograph showing the east side of the power house at Whitby Mental Health Centre. The power house was located on the west side of Gordon Street, north of the staff cottage road. The centre is now called Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences.

Google Earth Google Earth [help]
Sort
Media Types
Contributors
Years
1920s 1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s 1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
1940s1940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
1980s1980198119821983198419851986198719881989
1990s1990199119921993199419951996199719981999
2000s 2000200120022003200420052006200720082009
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 50 will appear here.

Item Types
Groups
Creative Commons Rights
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit