Whitby Dunlops Parade, 1958
- Lloyd Robertson, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative showing members of the Whitby Dunlops hockey team riding in a truck during a parade to celebrate the team's homecoming after winning the World Hockey Championship in Oslo, Norway.
Left to right: Charlie Burns, Harry Sinden, Eddie Redmond, Fred Etcher, Alf Treen, Bob Attersley.
Ron Moore is at centre in the truck cab.
- The original Whitby Dunlops were founded in 1954 when the 1952-53 Oshawa Generals were disbanded after their arena burned down. Some of the players, along with coach and manager, Wren Blair, formed the Oshawa Truckers for the 1953-54 season.
In 1954, the Oshawa Truckers relocated to Whitby and were temporarily renamed the Whitby Seniors. The team played out of the Whitby Community Arena and was soon sponsored by the Dunlop Rubber Company. The newly renamed Whitby Dunlops, started their first year as a Senior B team. After winning the league they moved up to the OHA Senior A League.
The Dunlops won the Allan Cup in both 1957 and 1958 and won a gold medal at the World Ice Hockey Championships in 1958 at Oslo, Norway.
Notable members of the Whitby Dunlops include former Whitby mayor, Bob Attersley, former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, and Harry Sinden.
The Whitby Dunlops folded after 1960. They were revived in 2004 by a group of local businessmen and entered the Ontario Hockey Association's Eastern Ontario Senior Hockey League for the 2004–2005 season. The Whitby Dunlops joined Major League Hockey, the top tier for senior men's hockey in Ontario, in 2009.
- Date of Original:
- 29 March 1958
Width: 12.5 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Dunlops Parade, 1958, Lloyd Robertson, Whitby Archives, 21-007-104.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address