Whitby Dunlops, 1957
- Turofsky, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative of the 1957 Whitby Dunlops. The team is photographed with three trophies: W.A. Hewitt Trophy (left), Allan Cup, John Ross Robertson Cup (right).
Back row: A. E. Stevens, Sandy Air, Bus Gagnon, Alf Treen, Don McBeth, Charlie Burns, George Samolenko, Wall Brabin (assistant manager).
Centre row: Gord Myles, Jack Armstrong, Jack Donlevy, John Henderson, Fred Etcher, Doug Williams, Stan Waylett (trainer).
Front row: Ronnie Moore (stick boy), Harry Sinden, Ted O'Connor, Bob Attersley, Wren Blair (manager), Eddie Redmond, Tom O'Connor, Frank Bonello.
- The original Whitby Dunlops were founded in 1954 when the 1952-53 Oshawa Generals were disbanded after their arena burned down. Some of the players, along with coach and manager, Wren Blair, formed the Oshawa Truckers for the 1953-54 season.
In 1954, the Oshawa Truckers relocated to Whitby and were temporarily renamed the Whitby Seniors. The team played out of the Whitby Community Arena and was soon sponsored by the Dunlop Rubber Company. The newly renamed Whitby Dunlops, started their first year as a Senior B team. After winning the league they moved up to the OHA Senior A League.
The Dunlops won the Allan Cup in both 1957 and 1958 and won a gold medal at the World Ice Hockey Championships in 1958 at Oslo, Norway.
Notable members of the Whitby Dunlops include former Whitby mayor, Bob Attersley, former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, and Harry Sinden.
The Whitby Dunlops folded after 1960. They were revived in 2004 by a group of local businessmen and entered the Ontario Hockey Association's Eastern Ontario Senior Hockey League for the 2004–2005 season. The Whitby Dunlops joined Major League Hockey, the top tier for senior men's hockey in Ontario, in 2009.
- Date of Original:
Width: 12.5 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- This item is protected by the Canadian Copyright Act and is intended for one-time use only. Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). It is your responsibility for obtaining these permissions.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Dunlops, 1957, Turofsky, Whitby Archives, 21-007-002.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address