Family of Charles Lynde
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative of a photograph of Charles Lynde and four of his children. The photograph was taken on the steps of the residence of Charles Lynde on the south half of lot 32 on Concession 4.
Back row: Alma Lynde (1858-1916, also called Alana), Catherine Lynde (1873-1967), Charles Lynde (1827-1912).
Front row: Warner Lynde (1869-1968), Isabelle Lynde (1867-1957).
- Jabez Lynde (1773-1856) was born in Brookfield, MA. He married Clarissa Woodruff (1774-1830) in 1796. In 1803 Jabez and Clarissa emigrated to Canada, settling at the area now known as Lynde Creek in 1804.
Sylvester Bernard Lynde (1800-1883), eldest son of Jabez and Clarissa, married Louisa Mary Smith in 1822 and moved north to lot 32 on Conession 4, Maple Dell Farm. The couple had five children: Louisa, Charles Alfred, Jabez, Amanda, and Magdalene. Sylvester was remarried in 1843 to Frances Phillips (1822-1895). They had eight children.
Charles Alfred Lynde (1827-1912), eldest son of Sylvester and Louisa, married Catherine Kingston Hyde Holmes (1829-1889) in 1848. The couple had twelve surviving children: Alfred Wallace, James Sylvester, Thomas O'Callaghan, Jabez Warren, Alana/Alma Frederica, John Munroe, Charles Albert, William Duncan, Isabella Christine May Rose, Warner Woodruff, Henry Warren, and Catherine Hyde Holmes.
Charles Lynde was an avid thoroughbred horse breeder and his horse, Jock Bell, won the Queen's Plate in the 1870s.
- Date of Original:
Width: 6 cm
Height: 6 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Archives
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address