The Bate Sisters
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative of a photograph showing Mrs. Alice Lugton, Allan Cameron, and Mrs. Elizabeth Cameron seated on the porch of the Lugton residence which was located on the east side of Euclid Street between Dundas and Mary Streets.
Left to right: Alice Lugton (nee Bate), Allan Cameron, Elizabeth Cameron (Bate).
- Henry Bate (1800-1850) and Anna Maria Harwood (1790-1867) were married at Cornwall, England in 1830. They had three daughters Elizabeth (1831-1908), Alice Allan (1833-1927), and Margaret. The family came to Canada in 1840 and settled at Hamer's Corners, three miles from the site of St. John's Anglican Church.
Henry Bate was the choir leader at St. John's Anglican Church when it first opened on 5 July 1846.
Alice married George Lugton of Oshawa in 1853 and Elizabeth married Allan Cameron of Whitby in 1859. Margaret married a Mr. MacKay.
- Date of Original:
Width: 12 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Archives
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address