Family of David Mathison
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Composite photographs
- Black and white negative of a photograph showing the family of David and Elizabeth Mathison. The photograph is a composite meaning each person was photographed individually.
Back row: Peter Mathison ( -1920), John Tait Mathison (1851-1929), Mary Mathison (nee Hobson, wife of John Tait Mathison; 1850-1934), George Mathison
Middle row: Jean Mathison ( -1920), David Mathison Jr. ( -1924), Mrs. Elizabeth Mathison (nee Tait; 1825-1911), Margaret Mathison (1855-1931).
Front row: David Mathison Sr. (1819-1883), Jessie Mathison ( -1954).
- David Mathison (1819-1883) was a tailor in Aberdeen, Scotland. He married Agnes Frost in 1846 by whom he had John Tait Mathison (1851-1929). In 1853 David Mathison married Elizabeth Tait and shortly after the couple came to Whitby where they had six children: Margaret, Jean, Peter William, David, George Tait, and Jessie Christina.
John Tait Mathison was a local sculptor and gravestone maker who was trained by the Wolfenden family of Whitby. In 1886 he opened the Whitby Granite Company which operated for 40 years before it was sold. John married Mary Morris Hobson in 1878 and they had two surviving children: Edna and Frank Tait.
- Date of Original:
Width: 12 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Archives
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address