Bandel Family at Whitby House Hotel
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative of a photograph of members of the Bandel family standing out the back of the Whitby House hotel.
From left to right: Anna Collins (nee Bandel) with her daughter Doris Collins, Kate Sheehan, Victoria Bandel, Mary Bandel, Madeline Collins.
- Joseph Bandel (1826-1896) and Mary Stelzle (1833-1914) both came to Canada from Wurtemburg, Germany. They were married at Toronto in 1854. In 1858 they settled at Whitby. Joseph and Mary Bandel had nine surviving children: Mary Josephine (1858-1927), Joseph George (1860-1883), Joseph Anton (1862-1900), Emeline (1864-1953), Anthony (1867-1946), Louis Stephen (1868-1932), Ottilla Katherine (1871-1955), Anna Louis (1873-1949), Victoria Gertrude (1876-1952).
Joseph operated boot and shoe store until about 1870 when he went into the hotel business. His family operated the Whitby House hotel from 1870 until 1948. The hotel was located on the south side of Dundas Street between Centre and Byron Streets.
- Date of Original:
Width: 12 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Archives
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address