- Augustus Barrett, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white negative of a studio portrait of the Joseph Bandel family.
Back row: Emeline Bandel (1864-1953), George Bandel (1860-1883), Joseph Bandel Jr. (1862-1900), Mary Bandel (1858-1927).
Middle row: Annie Bandel (1873-1949), Victoria Bandel (1876-1952), Ottilia Bandel (1871-1955).
Front row: Anthony Bandel (1867-1946), Joseph Bandel (1826-1896), Mary Bandel (nee Stelzle; 1833-1914), Louis Bandel (1868-1932).
- Joseph Bandel (1826-1896) and Mary Stelzle (1833-1914) both came to Canada from Wurtemburg, Germany. They were married at Toronto in 1854. In 1858 they settled at Whitby. Joseph and Mary Bandel had nine surviving children: Mary Josephine (1858-1927), Joseph George (1860-1883), Joseph Anton (1862-1900), Emeline (1864-1953), Anthony (1867-1946), Louis Stephen (1868-1932), Ottilla Katherine (1871-1955), Anna Louis (1873-1949), Victoria Gertrude (1876-1952).
Joseph operated boot and shoe store until about 1870 when he went into the hotel business. His family operated the Whitby House hotel from 1870 until 1948. The hotel was located on the south side of Dundas Street between Centre and Byron Streets.
- Date of Original:
Width: 12 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Archives
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address