Ontario County Court House
- J.H. Tremaine, Artist
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Black and white negative of a photograph of a print from a map of the Ontario County Courthouse. It shows the original building as designed by Frederick Cumberland and William Storm, before any additions were made.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. The architects were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. The extension at the north end was added in 1866. The building served as a courthouse from 1854-1964.
In 1967, the building was renovated as part of Whitby’s centennial project for use as a community centre. In celebration of its 150th anniversary, the building was again renovated in 2003 and is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
- Printed underneath the image: 'Ontario County Courthouse, Whitby'
- Date of Original:
Width: 6 cm
Height: 6 cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Images Collection
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Whitby Archives
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from copy negative.
Copied by Thomas Bouckley Collection, Oshawa.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address