Black and white negative depicting the Whitby Junction Station shortly after an accident occurred on the tracks in front of the station. A number of people are gathered on the tracks. The black 'X' on the right side of the tracks represents the spot where Douglas Brown was hit and killed by a train on 17 August 1935. This photograph was taken for an inquest into his death.
The Whitby junction Station was built at the foot of Byron Street on the Grand Trunk Railway in 1903. It closed in 1969 and in 1970 it was moved to the north-east corner of Victoria and Henry Streets for use as an art gallery. In 2004 the Station Gallery was moved across the road to Whitby Iroquois Park.