Residence of W.H. Higgins "The Grange", c.1875
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the people in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- A. Barrett and Company, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white photograph of the residence of W.H Higgins "The Grange". This was originally in the form of a stereograph slide.
- This house is located at 201 Pine Street on the north-east corner of Mary and Pine Streets. It was built in the 1850s and demolished in 1976. Owners of this house were the Armstrong family, W.H. Higgins, C.F. Stewart, J.B. Laidlaw, and Frank Lloyd Beecroft. The home was called "The Grange". W.H. Higgins was publisher of the Whitby Chronicle from 1856 to 1883. Whitby’s house numbering system was provided by Rev. Dr. James Roy Van Wyck (1877-1941), a retired Presbyterian minister. Van Wyck provided this service to the town, free of charge, during the Great Depression. By the summer of 1935, Whitby had a population of about 4,000 people and a house numbering system was needed. Prior to 1935, residences and businesses were listed in the telephone book with the street on which they were located. As well, there was no need for a house numbering system since all mail was picked up by local residents from the town post office. Under Van Wyck’s system, each block was numbered by a hundred. For instance, the first block south of Dundas on Brock Street was the 100 block; the second, the 200 block, and so on. Buildings on the west side of the street were given even numbers, while buildings on the east side were given odd numbers. On streets running east and west, even numbers were given on the north side while odd numbers were provided on the south. Van Wyck was careful to assign numbers for vacant lots between existing homes. Assigned house and business address numbers were published in the Whitby Gazette and Chronicle and a postcard was mailed to each residence in 1935 with the assigned house number and asking residents to please place this assigned number at their front door. Brooklin was given a house numbering system in the late 1960s or early 1970s, while Ashburn, Myrtle and Myrtle Station received a house numbering system in the 1980s or 1990s.
- Date of Original:
Width: 6 cm
Height: 6 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 6cm
Image Height: 6cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Residence of W.H. Higgins "The Grange", c.1875, A. Barrett and Company. Whitby Archives 17-007-003.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address