Mr. John Lawrence Smith and Mrs. John Lawrence Smith (Elizabeth Strickland), c.1868
- Barrett, Augustus, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white portrait photograph of John Lawrence Smith and his wife, Elizabeth Strickland. This photograph was likely taken soon after their marriage on December 31, 1867. John has a book on his lap and both are seated for this photograph.
- John Lawrence Smith was born on Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township, on October 11, 1838, and was a farmer all his life. He was one of the founders and first trustees of the Whitby Methodist Tabernacle, and a founder and member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Ladies' College in 1874. He was a member of the Whitby Township Council in 1875-77 and 1890-92; Deputy Reeve in 1893-97 and Reeve in 1883-4, and in 1898. He was Warden of Ontario County in 1884. He died at his farm at Corbett's Point, Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township on May 24, 1928 and is buried in Union Cemetery, Oshawa.
Mrs. Smith (Elizabeth Strickland) was born on June 30, 1841 and died at Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township on March 18, 1913. She is buried at Union Cemetery in Oshawa.
- Date of Original
Width: 6.5 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 6.5cm
Image Height: 10cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Reproduction Notes
- Scanned from a copy negative.