Pentland Family Coat of Arms, c. 1850
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white photograph of the Pentland Family Coat of Arms.
- This is the Coat of Arms for Reverend John Pentland. Reverend John Pentland was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1804 and was educated at Kilkenny, Ireland, Trinity College, Dublin; and Cambridge University in England. He served in the British Army from 1824 until he married in 1830 and served in France, Spain and Italy. In 1830 he became a minister of the Church of England and served in Wales, France and Ireland before coming to Canada in 1835. He established his first church in 1835 at Columbus in Whitby Township (St. Paul's Anglican Church). He founded St. John's Anglican Church at Port Whitby in 1841 and built a church of Kingston limestone in 1846. He served as minister of this congregation until his retirement in 1863. He continued to preach in Prince Albert and Port Perry for a while, but poor health caused him to lead a quiet life in Whitby where he died on May 18, 1871. Rev. John Pentland is buried at St. John's Anglican Cemetery, Port Whitby.
- Top of photograph reads: Pentland Family
Bottom of photograph reads: Crest Coat of Arms
"John Pentland" is written below Coat of Arms.
The motto reads "AUDACTER ET SINCERE".
- Date of Original:
- c. 1850
Width: 10 cm
Height: 13 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 10cm
Image Height: 13cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address