James Campbell, 1881
- Augustus Barrett, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white portrait photograph of James Campbell.
- James Campbell was born at Forres, Scotland on October 4, 1838. He came to Whitby in the late 1850s. From about 1860-1895 he and his brother Robert Campbell operated a dry goods store in Whitby called R&J Campbell. He was a member of the Whitby Town Council from 1863-1864, 1867, 1869, 1882. He was Deputy Reeve in 1873 and 1879. He was Reeve in 1881 and Mayor from 1891-1892. In 1895, he and his family moved to Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. One of his sons was David T. Campbell (1874-1956) for whom the David T. Campbell Masonic Lodge in Whitby is named. James Campbell died at Chicago on June 5, 1921 and is buried in Union Cemetery, Oshawa.
This photo is from a frame of Ontario County Council Portraits on display in the Whitby Archives.
- Date of Original:
Width: 3.5 cm
Height: 4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.5cm
Image Height: 4cm
- Local identifier:
- Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- James Campbell, 1881, Augustus Barrett. Whitby Archives 31-002-060.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a copy negative.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address