Ontario County Courthouse, c.1895
- Unknown, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white photograph of the Ontario County Court House.
- The Ontario County Courthouse was built from 1852-1854 on the west side of Centre Street between Ontario Street and Gilbert Streets. Behind the building, at right is the jail. The architects for the building were Frederic Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto. This building was the county courthouse until 1964.
In 1967, it was renovated as Whitby’s centennial project for use as a community centre. It was further in 2003, for its 150th anniversary and is now the home of the Whitby Court House Theatre and Whitby Brass Band.
The building has been renamed and is known as the Whitby Centennial Building. It is located at 416 Centre Street South, Whitby.
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian copyright law. No restrictions on use.
- Reproduction Notes:
- Scanned from a copy photo.
Whitby Public Library
Agency street/mail address