Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection

A History of Mental Health Facilities in Whitby, 1912 - Present
The Ontario Hospital Whitby Buildings

In addition to Govan's 16 cottages, his architectural plans called for several support buildings including a powerhouse, a sewage pumping house, male and female infirmaries, recreation and dining halls, a number of kitchens, a tubercular and isolation hospital, a church, general stores, greenhouses, workshops, a surgical and pathological building, doctors and nurses residences, a cold storage plant, and an administrative building.

Since the hospital complex was built on preexisting farms, much of the fertile land was salvaged and its crops were used during the construction period to feed workers, administrative officers, patients, and doctors. Upon completion of the facility, the farm was operated by doctors and patients and it provided all the milk, meat, and vegetables necessary to sustain the hospital. The farm continued in operation until 1969 and tending the farm was considered therapy for many patients.

Click on the links at left to view the exteriors and interiors of the buildings more closely!
Dairy Herd and Barn, Ontario Hospital Whitby, 1934
Dairy Herd and Barn, Ontario Hospital Whitby, 1934 Details
These cattle provided enough milk to feed the doctors, nurses, and patients at the hospital. Patients were usually responsible for tending to the farm.
Aerial View of Ontario Hospital, 1920
Aerial View of Ontario Hospital, 1920 Details
This image shows some of the land that was farmed to support and sustain the hospital.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit